In 1875, Jonathan Shinn and Charles Pharo helped start a Baptist church in West Creek. Charles Mott, pastor of Manahawkin Baptist, preached there twice a month and was known as the church’s first pastor. They paid $400 for a house which was used as a church building and $75 for a lot, on Thomas Avenue in West Creek, to move it to. The church was organized and constituted on June 22, 1876 as The Baptist Church of West Creek with a membership of 60 people. The cornerstone for the Chapel was laid in June of 1893 and the building completed in March of 1894. The Baptist Young People’s Union (Youth Group) was organized in 1941.
As the church’s membership, especially the children and youth group, grew, plans were made to expand. In 1958, Chet Holman offered the current property to the church. This allowed the church to be added onto, space for parking, space for a parsonage, and room for future expansion. In October of 1962, the chapel building was moved to its current location. The cost of moving and the construction of the basement was $9,000. The church’s name was then changed to Calvary Baptist Church.
Property was purchased across Railroad Drive (formerly Prospect Ave) in 1987 and additional land acquired in 1988, some of which constitutes the parking lots.
The first hired Assistant (Youth) Pastor was in 1987.
On August 22, 1987 ground-breaking was held for the building which holds the auditorium and the dedication service was held on April 23, 1989.
On May 25, 2010 the church was presented with our plan for a new multi-purpose building, offices, classrooms, gymnasium, commercial kitchen, nurseries and foyer. Groundbreaking took place on September 9, 2012. The building was dedicated on July 27, 2014.