In 1875, Jonathan Shinn and Charles Pharo helped start a Baptist church on Thomas Avenue in West Creek. The cornerstone for the Chapel was laid in June of 1893 and the building completed in March of 1894. A Sunday School program was started for children (Calvary Kidz). The Baptist Young People’s Union (Youth Group) was organized in 1941. Both Calvary Kidz and Youth Ministry continue to this day. Although the time and methods have changed, the message and focus on the community remain.
As the church’s membership, children’s ministries, and youth group grew, plans were made to expand. In 1958, property was donated to the church on the corner of Railroad Ave. and Parkertown Dr. in Parkertown. This allowed the church to add space for parking, a parsonage, and future expansion. In October of 1962, the chapel building was moved to its current location. The church’s name was then changed from The Baptist Church of West Creek to Calvary Baptist Church.
As CBC continued to grow, property was purchased across Railroad Drive in 1987 and 1988, some of which now constitute the overflow parking lots. The first Assistant (Youth) Pastor was hired in 1987.
On August 22, 1987 ground-breaking was held for the building which holds the auditorium and the dedication service was held on April 23, 1989.
On May 25, 2010 Calvary was presented with our plan for a new multi-purpose building, offices, classrooms, gymnasium, commercial kitchen, nurseries, and foyer. All of these items were built so that the people of Calvary can continue to Love God, Love Others, and Make Disciples. Groundbreaking took place on September 9, 2012. The building was dedicated on July 27, 2014.